tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 21 07:57:21 2007

Re: KCD transcript

David Trimboli wrote:
> Lieven Litaer wrote:
>> ghItlh SuStel:
>>
>>> Is there a transcript of Gowron's speech at the beginning of the Star
>>> Trek Klingon computer game (KCD)?
>> You probably mean the apparant nonsense starting with {oglu' meS qul} etc...
>
> bIlugh.
>
>> I tried to transcribe it many times, but it just makes no sense. Some years ago, we tried to find a solution on this list, but there was nothing useful. Unfortunately.
>> I'll see if I can find my notes.
>
> I remember hearing that Marc Okrand wrote it and it was sent to Robert
> O'Reilly, who learned it by heart and was really proud of his effort,
> unaware that he completely butchered it.
>
> I THOUGHT there was a copy of Okrand's original text floating about...

I found a bit of information about this: an interview with Robert
O'Reilly (http://tinyurl.com/393lpx).

    Q: Mr. O'Reilly--You said you did not learn Klingon--but how did you
    do the introduction sequence on Star Trek Klingon?  I_am_Klingon

    ROR: Believe it or not, they flew Marc Okrand in to be about 2 feet
    from me, not ONLY to hold my hand, but to mouth the words so that I
    would say it correctly. Some were more difficult than others and I
    had to do quite a few takes on some of them.

O'Reilly is quite the STAR TREK fan... and really, really bad at
Klingon, if Okrand had several takes and couldn't get anything better
than that out of him.

SuStel
Stardate 7971.6

--
Practice the Klingon language on the tlhIngan Hol MUSH.
http://trimboli.name/klingon/mush.html

Back to archive top level