tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 20 08:47:07 2007

vuvnISlu'

Doq ([email protected])

When I read many of the arguments here, the sense I get is that each
of us wants respect for our rare skill at understanding Klingon
grammar, and we are enflamed by apparent disrespect or competition for
respect here.

The thing we need to keep in mind is that saying that you have rare
skill at understanding Klingon language is redundant. All skill at
understanding Klingon grammar is rare. A handful of people in the
world know it at a conversational level. Perhaps dozens can
meaningfully discuss it without being able to mentally access the
vocabulary to actually speak it.

I, for one, respect you all far more than I succeed in expressing,
especially in the heat of conflict. For my part, I know that I do not
wish to control the interpretation of grammar, while I do react at a
near fear level when I sense that part of it is going out of control
or heading in some direction that violates my essential understanding
of the language. I hate to see it misused, and though I'm not an
authority capable of deciding what is misuse, I am capable of
recognizing it -- unless someone expands my understanding in some way
that modifies an earlier sincere judgement.

Respectfully,

Doq

Back to archive top level