tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 19 16:38:09 2007

Re: jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'

ja' SuStel:

> The predicative in a Klingon "to be" sentence isn't complementing the
> topic, it's complementing the copula. This is why I didn't call the
> topic of a copula a "subject" instead.

Your take on "to be" seems quite different from how TKD describes
it.  Okrand does label the thing doing the "being" as the subject.

> I'm applying the word "predicative" to Klingon grammar, not
> English, and
> I'm defining it slightly differently than it is defined in English, so
> don't get too caught up in its English definition.

Fine, I'll try to treat your use of the term the same way I treat
TKD's use of "perfective" and "adverbial", and not pay attention to
any baggage it carries from its otherwise established usage.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level