tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 16 04:35:04 2007

Re: poH taD pagh poH bIr

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' qa'pIn, ja':
>Not to bite the hand that "feeds" me, but isn't {bIrqu'be'bej} illegal?
>both {qu'} and {be'} are rovers, and type 9.

No, the type 9 suffixes are an entirely different set: {-DI'}, {-ghach},
{-wI'}, {-vIS} and so forth.

>I have been taught/learned that two suffixes of the same type are
>not to be used in the same verb construction.

Ordinarily, and for all numbered types of suffixes, that's right. But rovers
don't seem to follow this rule. We have several examples of two rovers
appearing together, including from TKD itself:

nuQaw'qu'be'
they have not finished us off (TKD p.48)

pIHoHvIpbe'qu'
we are definitely not afraid to kill you (TKD p.49)

I would have no problem with {jotHa'Qo'} "he refuses to put it back
up", {ngeHbe'qu'} "he will definitely not send it", or even
{naDHa'be'qu'Qo'} "he absolutely refuses not to discommend him".

The rovers are probably better viewed not as a class on their own, but
almost "classless"; note that {-Ha'} and {-Qo'} can't even rove. {-Ha'}
must appear before a type 1 suffix, and {-Qo'} between types 8 and
9.

bIyaj'a'?

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pab po'wI'
(Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute)

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
- Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Overpaid or Underpaid? Check our comprehensive Salary Centre
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent%2Emycareer%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%3Fs%5Fcid%3D595810&_t=766724125&_r=Hotmail_Email_Tagline_MyCareer_Oct07&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level