tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 16 03:56:45 2007

Re: jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

jIghItlhpu', jIja':
>meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH
>only a fool fights in a burning house

mujang SuStel, ja':
>I should have said we've never seen a subject with {-Daq}, {-vo'},
>or {-vaD} on it where the locative sense applies to the clause in
>which the noun is the subject.

That's very true. Even the {meQtaHbogh qachDaq} example is the only
one of its type, I believe; we only have {-Daq} attested on direct
objects.

taH:
>(It does show a type 5 noun suffix applying to an entire phrase
>instead of just the word it's attached to, but this should come as no
>surprise, given phrases like {veng tInDaq}.)

And {qep'a' wejDIchDaq}. Although if you accept that a type 5 noun
suffix attaches to whole phrases in that way, what do you believe is
wrong with {qach vIleghboghDaq}?

jIjatlhtaH:
>{lam naDev Hemey} "the streets of this region are dirty"

jangtaH SuStel:
>Technically, the subject of this sentence isn't {naDev}, it's {naDev
>Hemey}.

Yes, you're right, and as you point out, {lam naDev} is just as suitable
as an example. Nonetheless, {naDev} *is* acting in a genitive function
(which fills the type 5 suffix slot with something other than {-Daq}
anyway), and not a locative function, so it still proves the point.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pab po'wI'
(Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute)

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
- Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Your Future Starts Here. Dream it? Then be it! Find it at www.seek.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Ask%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_Future&_m=EXT