tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 07 15:11:45 2007

Announcing: a Klingon MUSH

Remember back in the day, we had the KEVE MUSH to practice our Klingon?
I missed that, so I made a new one!

mush.trimboli.name 2218

I'm just calling it the tlhIngan Hol MUSH for now. For those of you who
aren't familiar with MUSHes and MUDs, they're text-only virtual
environments in which you play a character as if you were really there.
The difference here is, this isn't a role-playing game: the purpose of
the tlhIngan Hol MUSH is to practice your Klingon with other people.
Think of it as a Klingon chatroom with rooms and things and descriptions.

I'll be maintaining this MUSH myself. This is entirely my own idea; I
didn't speak to anyone at the KLI about it, so it's not "official." But
if people come to practice, it could be very useful.

The simplest way to get to the MUSH (not counting Windows Vista, which
I'll get to in a moment) is to run the following command in any
operating system:
    telnet mush.trimboli.name 2218
(you'll want to turn on the localecho so you can see your own input)

A better idea is to download a special client program that handles the
display for you. A good, free program (among several) is MuckClient.

Windows Vista users: If you want to use MuckClient, you have to run it
as an administrator. The program currently has a bug in it that User
Account Control doesn't like. If you want to use a regular telnet
client, you have to install it first from your Windows CD or source
directory; it's not installed by default.

I hope people like the idea and come to visit. If you have any
questions, send me private e-mail at [email protected].

Thanks go to jI'qel, who's helping me with a bit of coding and overseeing!

SuStel
Stardate 7934.1

Back to archive top level