tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 29 05:33:58 2007

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for August 20, 2007

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Voragh, ja':
>Using {-taH} in *{Huch qaDIltaHbogh} "money that I continuously
>pay (keep paying) you" makes it sound like an annuity of some kind
>or even an open-ended blackmail payment!

My thought was that there's no specific suffix for "regularly" or
"continuously and at intervals", so {-taH} was as close as it was possible
to get. Nonetheless, you make a good point... {Huch qaDIlbogh} is probably
all that one needs in the phrase.

>How about just *{vummeH Huch} "money (for the purpose of) working"?

Not a bad suggestion! That seems to work. (And I can't think of why I didn't
think to use a {-meH}-clause before...)

>Okrand used {tIn} as the quality with {pop}

De'vam cho'angmo' jIbel. Putting all that together, {vummeH HuchlIj tIn law'
Hoch tIn puS} "your salary (lit. "money for working") is the largest".

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pab po'wI' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language
Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Advertisement: Justin Timberlake FutureSex/LoveShow. Tour & tix details here
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=811&referral=hotmailtaglineaugust&URL=http://music.ninemsn.com.au/justintimberlake

Back to archive top level