tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 28 18:15:02 2007

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for August 20, 2007

pm5 ([email protected])

Robyn:
> bop must have a meaning I don't know. I learned it as a verb meaning
> "be all about."  Is it also a noun meaning "salary, compensation"?
ter'eS:
> I'm guessing he meant {pop}.

QeS:
> >Doqbot: {toH, je boplIj law' Hoch vu'wI' bop puS.}
>
> Watch the placement of {je}; as an adverb, it should go after the verb it
> modifies. Otherwise, use {'ej} instead.

HIvqa' veqlargh.

QeS:
> With that said, "your salary is the highest in the department" may be better
> recast to something along the lines of {malja' 'ay'Daq Huch qaDIltaHbogh tIn
> law' Hoch tIn puS} "the money that I continuously pay you is the highest in
> the department", with the relative clause {Huch qaDIltaHbogh} "money that I
> keep paying you" standing in for the English "salary".

Voragh:
> Using {-taH} in *{Huch qaDIltaHbogh} "money that I continuously pay (keep
> paying) you" makes it sound like an annuity of some kind or even an
> open-ended blackmail payment!  How about just *{vummeH Huch} "money (for
> the purpose of) working"?

I think in this case combining these two styles works best.  {DIl} may
be the verb in the {law'/puS} construction.

  {malja' 'ay'Daq bIvummeH qaDIltaH law' vummeH Hoch vIDIltaH puS.}
  "In the department I pay for you to work more than I pay for anyone
else to work".

po'mIn

Back to archive top level