tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 09 14:34:39 2007

Re: Klingon DarSeq

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> > In 2153 the Klingon Judiciary placed a bounty of 9000 darseks for the
> > capture of escaped convict Jonathan Archer, dead or alive, which was
> > considered "a fortune" by the Tellarite bounty hunter Skalaar.  When we
> > saw them, they appeared to be metal (latinum??) bars, approximately
> > 1 x 3 inches in size, and were transported in a box. (ENT "Bounty")

ter'eS:
>As we learned in a DS9 episode, latinum is actually a
>liquid (or maybe an oil), so valuable that tiny
>amounts of it are encased in the relatively worthless
>gold just to make it into a practical currency, which
>is why it is called "gold-pressed".  I always found that
>hilarious!

IIRC it's chief advantage is that it cannot be replicated - unlike
worthless gold or diamonds - which makes it useful as currency.  See the
comprehensive Memory Alpha article for more details:

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Latinum

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons