tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 09 03:38:23 2007

Re: from-to

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' ter'eS, ja':
>I recall when Okrand came up with the idea of motion
>verbs with inherent objects, and it was kind of a
>mess, relating it to his previous examples.

As Voragh's pointed out (and as I'd forgotten), it seems that Okrand had the
idea of using unmarked objects with verbs of motion right from the
publication of TKD. I requote:

"There are a few verbs whose meanings include locative notions, such as
{ghoS} "approach, proceed". The locative suffix [{-Daq}] need not be used on
nouns which are the objects of such verbs." (TKD 28)

As such, and given the context of the PK dialogue, I suspect {naDevvo'
vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'} might simply be an example of how uncouth Terran
tourists might (mis-)use the language. {{;)

jIja'pu':
>For "Can we get to the Great Hall from here?", one would expect
>{naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq wIjaHlaH'a'}. As written, the sentence seems
>to mean "Can we go from here in the Great Hall?".

mujang Voragh, ja':
>I would have expected {naDevvo' vaS'a' wIjaHlaH'a'} without {-Daq}.
>As I understand it, to refer to a destination with verbs of motion one can
>use either (1) the object prefixes without {-Daq}, or (2) the non-object
>prefixes with {-Daq}.

The HQ 7:4 interview explicitly notes that the object-prefixes may appear
with {-Daq} to refer to a destination. Okrand says in that interview that
{bIQtIqDaq vIjaH} is essentially identical to {bIQtIq vIjaH}, whereas
{bIQtIqDaq jIjaH}, with no direct object, is different from either,
referring to a location, not a destination.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pab po'wI' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language
Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Advertisement: SEEK Salary Centre: What are you really worth? Find out.
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseeklearning%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Acon%3Askl%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Acoursetafe&_t=764565661&_r=Seek_learning_AUG07_TAGlines&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level