tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 07 07:32:09 2007

Re: from-to

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

be''etlh:
> >can "to go from X to Y" be expressed as X-vo' Y-Daq ghoS?
> >for example
> >
> >  tera'vo' Qo'noSDaq jIghos
> >  I went from earth to Kronos.

ter'eS:
>Although I expect to be corrected momentarily, I
>believe that the correct form would be
>
>   tera'vo' Qo'noS vIghoS.
>
>{ghoS} is one of those motion verbs that has the
>destination as it's object, while {-Daq} implies where
>something occured, eg.
>
>   DujvetlhDaq tera'vo' Qo'noS vIghoS.
>   "I went to Kronos from Earth on that ship."

QeS:
>While the form ter'eS cites is perfectly acceptable and absolutely correct
>Klingon, there happens to be another way to say this. {tera'vo' Qo'noSDaq
>vIghoS} (note the prefix {vI-}) is also possible. In HolQeD 7:4, Okrand says
>that some verbs whose direct objects are locations or places, such as
>{ghoS}, {jaH} and {leng}, may mark their direct object (the place come, gone
>or journeyed to) with the suffix {-Daq} while - and this is the unusual part
>- retaining verb agreement for that noun. Viz:
>
>   yuQDaq vIleng - I travel to the planet
>   bIQtIqDaq vIjaH - I go to the river

More examples in from-to statements:

   naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'
   Can we get to the Great Hall from here? PK

   juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq lengtaHvIS tlhInganpu'
   During the (aggressive) expansion of the Klingon people from
   their homeworld of Kronos into space... SP1

{-Daq} can also be implied with {chegh}:

   tera'vo' Qo'noS vIchegh
   I return to Kronos from Earth. (st.k 7/99)

Qov wrote:
>maDo'chugh chovnatlhmey much voragh.

More examples of using {-Daq} with {ghos}:

   DujDaq ghoStaH
   It is approaching toward the ship. (TKD 28)

   bIghHa'Daq yIghoS
   Go to jail! TKD

Note that in other contexts these could be translated as "it is proceeding
on the ship" and the somewhat nonsensical "in the jail, go!" (that is, move
around inside the jailhouse).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons