tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 27 12:53:17 2007

RE: 'Igh'a' SeQpIr mol?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>>I thought I'd try translating his famous tomb inscription:
>>
>>    Bleste be the man that spares thes stones,
>>    And curst be he that moves my bones.
>>
>>    quvjaj naghmeyvam polbogh vay''e',
>>    'ej quvHa'jaj HomDu'wIj polHa'bogh vay''e'.  [or: vIHmoHbogh?]

pagh:
>Consider <'Igh> for "curst".

I used it in the Subject, but I don't know why I didn't here.  I was
probably fixating on the word play with {quv/pol} vs. {quvHa'/polHa'}, but
that left me with the fourth line being too long.

Adding {vaj} to the third line and dropping {-wIj} makes both lines 10 & 11
syllables (10 each if you don't count the weak {'ej} between them):

    vaj quvjaj naghmeyvam polbogh vay''e',
    'ej 'Ighjaj HomDu'wIj polHa'bogh vay''e'.

but it still doesn't scan properly.  I do like repeating {vay''e'} for the
rhyme at the end of each line.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons