tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 27 12:15:55 2007

RE: 'Igh'a' SeQpIr mol?

Eric Andeen ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

Consider <'Igh> for "curst".

pagh

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
Behalf Of Steven Boozer
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 9:59 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: 'Igh'a' SeQpIr mol?

A belated post in honor of Wil'yam Shex'pir's birthday.

I just read an interesting article today:

"Grave curse shows Shakespeare's fear for his bones"
http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&sto
ryID=2007-04-25T045412Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-295535-1.xml

and I thought I'd try translating his famous tomb inscription:

     Good frend for Jesus sake forebeare,
     To digg the dust encloased heare;
     Bleste be the man that spares thes stones,
     And curst be he that moves my bones.

   jupwI' QaQ, JESUS DanaDmeH ('e' vItlhob):    [or: jupwI'na'?]
   naDev lam'e' ngaSlu'bogh yItlhIlQo';
   quvjaj naghmeyvam polbogh vay''e',
   'ej quvHa'jaj HomDu'wIj polHa'bogh vay''e'.  [or: vIHmoHbogh?]

I think my version conveys the meaning well enough, but it's not poetic; it
neither rhymes nor scans.  Suggestions?

I inserted {'e' vItlhob} "I ask/request that" in the first line because (1)
I wanted a to extend the line a bit, and (2) it felt right.  DapollaH pagh
DapolHa'laH.  Also feel free to substitute {qeylIS}, {Qun}, etc. for Jesus.

For comparison, Seqram did a very nice job translating this rhyming couplet
for the frontispiece portrait in _The Klingon Hamlet_:

   This figure, that thou seest here put,
   It was for gentle Shakespeare cut

   naDev qonwI' qab'e' Dalegh:
   SeQpIr qab 'IHmoH QuchDaj ghegh