tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 03 07:26:05 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: DuQ (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Tuesday, April 3, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   DuQ
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     stab

Used in canon:

   cheDuQchugh mareghbe''a'
   Prick us, do we not bleed? TKW

   qaDuQ
   I stab you. KLS

The nomen agentis is {DuQwI'} "spike".

Related verbs:

{pe'} "cut"; {SIj} "slit"; {chIp} "cut, trim (hair)"; {poDmoH} "clip"

>Homonyms:
>     DuQ (verb) - touch (emotionally)
>
>Additional Notes:
>KGT p. 71.  Another common way to say that a specific piece or performance
>of music has a particularly strong effect on a listener is to employ the
>verb {DuQ} (literally, "stab"): {muDuQ bom} ("The song stabs me," or, in a
>more colloquial Federation Standard form, "The song moves me").
>
>KGT p. 84.  Well-prepared food is described as {'ey} ("delicious"), the
>word also used to describe good music: {'ey Soj} ("The food is
>delicious"): {Soj 'ey} ("delicious food").  Food also resembles music in
>that if it affects one in an especially positive way--that is, if the food
>particularly satisfies the eater--one may say {DuQ Soj} ("The food stabs
>him/her").  All food is considered to be good in its natural state; it
>takes the intervention of a "cook" to ruin it.  Thus, the word {'eyHa'},
>used to describe food that is edible but is not particularly tasty, means
>something like "undelicious," implying that someone caused it to cease
>being delicious.  For food that has been prepared particularly poorly, it
>is not uncommon to hear {Soj raghmoHlu'pu'} ("The food has been decayed"
>or "Someone has caused the food to decay") or the more pointed {Soj
>DaraghmoHpu'} ("You have caused to food to decay"), even though the food
>has not literallly decayed.  On the other hand, one may simply use the
>word {'up} ("disgusting, repugnant"): {'up Soj} ("The food is disgusting").

Related verbs:

{nong} "be passionate"; cf. {Hot} "touch, feel" [physically]; cf. also
{vIH} "move, be in motion"

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons