tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 03 03:02:38 2007

Klingon WOTD: DuQ (verb)

speersd ([email protected])

This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Tuesday, April 3, 2007.

Category: General

Klingon word:   DuQ
Part of Speech: verb
Definition:     stab
Source: TKD (85 KE, 154 EK)
Swedish: hugga, sticka ner, genomborra

Additional Notes:
KGT p. 71.  Another common way to say that a specific piece or performance of music has a particularly strong effect on a listener is to employ the verb {DuQ} (literally, "stab"): {muDuQ bom} ("The song stabs me," or, in a more colloquial Federation Standard form, "The song moves me").

KGT p. 84.  Well-prepared food is described as {'ey} ("delicious"), the word also used to describe good music: {'ey Soj} ("The food is delicious"): {Soj 'ey} ("delicious food").  Food also resembles music in that if it affects one in an especially positive way--that is, if the food particularly satisfies the eater--one may say {DuQ Soj} ("The food stabs him/her").  All food is considered to be good in its natural state; it takes the intervention of a "cook" to ruin it.  Thus, the word {'eyHa'}, used to describe food that is edible but is not particularly tasty, means something like "undelicious," implying that someone caused it to cease being delicious.  For food that has been prepared particularly poorly, it is not uncommon to hear {Soj raghmoHlu'pu'} ("The food has been decayed" or "Someone has caused the food to decay") or the more pointed {Soj DaraghmoHpu'} ("You have caused to food to decay"), even though the food has not literallly decayed.  On the other hand, one may simply use the word {'up} ("disgusting, repugnant"): {'up Soj} ("The food is disgusting").

Homonyms:
	DuQ (verb) - touch (emotionally)

The Klingon Word Of The Day is brought to you by Holtej ([email protected]).  Please contact me with additions, corrections or comments.

--Holtej 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ
http://www.speers.nu/Holtej/klingon/faq.htm

Back to archive top level