tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 14 06:55:12 2006

Type 5s as relative heads

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

While looking for examples for my previous email, I came across this little
gem from TKW again:

meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH (TKW 111)
Only a fool fights in a burning house.

My question is: What on earth are we supposed to do with that? It doesn't
parse neatly (I would have expected {meQtaHvIS}), and Okrand has pretty much
explicitly said that indirect objects don't work well with {-bogh}:

Okrand: I don't think Klingon fits into this [relative clause accessibility]
hierarchy. Well, it does, if you want to look at it that way. I couldn't
make the {­bogh} thing work for me with anything other than subject or
object.
HQ: So only the subject or object of a verb can be the head­noun of a
relative clause. It doesn't allow possessing nouns either?
MO: Right.

(HQ v4n2p5)

That was in 1995. TKW was released in 1996. I've also found this text from
S99 (1993) which, I have to be honest, I've been having some trouble
parsing, but which seems to contain another relative clause whose head is a
noun plus {-Daq}. My translation is underneath:

qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He ghoSlu'bogh retlhDaq
'oHtaH.
On the edge of the galaxy, they are beside a travelled path in order to
journey in regions of the galaxy which are unknown. (S99)

First off, is my translation right? Secondly, is this, as I suspect, an
example of a relative clause with a {-Daq} noun as its "head"? Thirdly, is a
relative clause like that in ?{Qe'Daq vIparbogh qaqIHpu'} "I met you in a
restaurant I didn't like" something that you would expect or accept in
conversational Klingon? I understand that the canon I've given might only be
examples of Okrand's English background seeping through; I'm merely
interested, as I hadn't noticed the oddity of these examples before.

Savan,

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Find your old friends and discover what they're doing now.
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=389&referral=HM_tagline_SEP06&URL=http://ninemsn.schoolfriends.com.au

Back to archive top level