tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 14 06:32:24 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: yaH (noun)

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' lay'tel SIvten, ja':
>Qan - protect
>QaD - be safe, be protected

Perhaps this meaning of {QaD} is or was idiomatic, derived from {QaD} "be
dry"? After all, we know the attitude of Klingons towards bathing from KGT.

>rach - invigorate, fortify, strengthen
>tlhuH - be exhilirated, be stimulated, be invigorated

See, I don't think this is quite the same as the pair {nge' - yaH}. From the
derived noun {rachwI'} "nurse", I get the impression that {rach} tends more
towards physical invigoration, where the glosses for {tlhuH} indicate it may
have more to do with emotion or state of mind.

>ta' - accomplish, accomplishment
>rIn - be accomplished, finished

teHbej.

<poD>
>SIQ - endure, bear
>bogh - be born

This is really doubtful; "born" is distinct from "borne" in modern English,
and we have no canon instances of {bogh} being used to refer to anything
other than the act of giving birth.

>teb - fill
>  buy' - be full, be filled up

teH je.

It's important to also note in this list {maS} "prefer" vs. {qaq} "be
preferable", and perhaps {natlh} "consume, expend" vs. {loj} "be all gone"
and the admittedly odd triplet {meQ} "be burnt" vs. {meQ} "to burn" and
{meQ} "to burn, to cause to burn":

Ha'DIbaHmey meQ Sop 'e' tIv tera'nganpu (CK)
Terrans enjoy eating burnt animals.

meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH (TKW 111)
Only a fool fights in a burning house.

to'waQ meQ vutwI' (KGT... can't remember the page)
The cook burns the tendon.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Want $250 of std talk, text & more for $49 a month? Go to
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fadsfac%2Enet%2Flink%2Easp%3Fcc%3DTEL217%2E31371%2E0%26clk%3D1%26creativeID%3D44933&_t=758220942&_r=emailtaglinetelstra&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level