tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 05 14:52:14 2006

Re: Hegh lung wamwI'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> > This poem just cries out (!) to be translated into Klingon.  I don't have
> > the time just now, but there don't seem to be any vocabulary issues (we
> > have words for candle {weQ} and two words for the end of long objects
> > {megh'an} and {'er'In}).  Anyone care to give it a try?

qa'pIn qorghon puqloD:
>I'm fairly certain this can be done better, but as I DO need the practice,
>I just gave it a try.

Just a quick comment on the first line...

> > He burned the candle at both ends,
>   megh'an weQ meQ 'ej 'er'In meQ weQ.

"he burned (one) end's candle and he burned the other-end's candle"

I like the euphony of {weQ} and {meQ}, but the nouns should be the other
way around: {weQ megh'an meQ 'ej weQ 'er'In meQ}.

   megh'an weQ = "the end's candle"
   weQ megh'an = "the candle's end"

I would collapse this to:

   weQ megh'an weQ 'er'In je meQ
   he burned the candle's ends
   "he burned the candle's end and [the candle's] other-end"

I'd like to omit the second {weQ}, but this results in the ambiguous string
{weQ megh'an 'er'In je} "candle, {megh'an} and {'er'In}" or "A, B and C"
vs. "A's [B and C]".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons