tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 24 10:06:03 2006

Re: The Linguist article

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

At 05:44 PM Tuesday 5/23/2006, qurgh wrote on the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list:
>I received this email and thought it would be best to forward it to the
>list in case someone wants to help these guys out. It's not really my forte.
>
>Miranda Moore wrote:
> > I edit The Linguist, the journal for the Institute of Linguists in
> > London, and would like to run a story about invented languages,
> > principally Klingon and Tolkien's languages (eg Elvish). I was hoping
> > one of the HolQeD contributors might be interested in writing the piece.
> >
> > I envisage the article covering WHY people invent languages and why
> > other people are so passionate about learning them ­ as well as HOW
> > (grammar, etymology, etc).

Miranda,

Although not interested in writing the article myself, there are other such
articles available online should you wish to review them:

"A Brief History of Klingon" by Dr. Lawrence Schoen:
   <http://www.morgenwelt.de/futureframe/000131-klingon.htm>http://www.morgenwelt.de/futureframe/000131-klingon.htm
   http://tinyurl.com/45oop

"The Klingon Language" by Hoovooloo (?)
   <http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A744860>http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A744860

"Definition of Klingon language" (a nice introduction to the language)
   <http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Klingon_language>http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Klingon_language

Wikipedia's brief description of the Klingons is at:
   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klingon>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klingon
and the Klingon language:
   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klingon_language>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klingon_language

Hol Sup 'oH tlhIngan Hol'e' - wa'maH Hut tlhIngan Hol po'wI' nughQeD
("Klingon as Linguistic Capital: A Sociologic Study of Nineteen Advanced
Klingonists") by Yens Wahlgren (B.A. thesis, Lunds Universitet, 2004)
   <http://www.socbetbib.lu.se/epubl/sochtm/SOC04014.htm>http://www.socbetbib.lu.se/epubl/sochtm/SOC04014.htm
   http://www.angelfire.com/trek/yensw/PDF/thesis.pdf
Abstract:
The Klingon language was created as a "verbal movie-prop" for Star Trek and
was not supposed to be a language for human communication. But today
thousands of persons have studied Klingon and 20 - 30 persons can be
considered fluent in the language. A linguistic field of power, a
linguistic market, has been formed. The purpose of this thesis is to
research how the Klingon language speakers have experienced the development
of the artificial language Klingon during its 20 years of existence. I will
also examine the informants' opinion towards Star Trek fandom. The method
used is qualitative; I have interviewed Dr Marc Okrand, creator of the
Klingon language, and Dr Lawrence M. Schoen, founder of the Klingon
Language Institute (KLI). I have also conducted an Internet interview with
17 advanced Klingonists. As a theoretical framework I use Bourdieu's theory
on symbolic capital, Berger's & Luckmann's discussion on secondary
socialization and Ferguson categories of Language development. For Klingon
the process of language development is a social process. It is an ongoing
dialectic exchange between Marc Okrand and the Klingonists. The KLI acts as
a socializing institution and plays an important role for the
standardization of the language together with Klingonists with high
linguistic capital. Star Trek is becoming less important for the
development of Klingon as only a minority of the Klingonists consider
themselves as trekkers and by the modernization of Klingon that gives the
language more vocabulary not related to Star Trek concepts.

"Klingon and Esperanto: The Odd Couple?" by Glen Proechel
   <http://donh.best.vwh.net/Languages/klingon.html>http://donh.best.vwh.net/Languages/klingon.html
[A short article first published in 1994 in "Esperanto U.S.A."]

"Lingüística klingon: Opacidad y Transparencia" by Nicolau Rodrigues
   <http://hiperespacio.dreamers.com/Artics/klingon/klingon.htm>http://hiperespacio.dreamers.com/Artics/klingon/klingon.htm
["This article talks about a very simple linguistic fact that tend to be
undervalued: a language may show a meaning with a suffix or construction
while in other language that meaning is understood by context. In this
case, I regard plurality."]

"Klingon caribeño, ¿Quién dijo que la filología no puede ser divertida?" by
Nicolau Rodrigues
   <http://hiperespacio.dreamers.com/Artics/klingoncaribe/klingoncaribe.htm>http://hiperespacio.dreamers.com/Artics/klingoncaribe/klingoncaribe.htm
["Trying to show that Klingon language may be funny too, here I talk about
etymology, word plays, and a Caribbean tale (from an OVS language) whose
characters use the verb {paw'}.]

Qapla'! (Success!)

--
Voragh