tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 01 15:31:18 2006

Re: {Qong} and other unattested nouns

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:  Shane MiQogh:
>I don't know if this is considered a lagit source for klingon culture (as
>it's surely not from MO), but...
>
> "Klingon vessels forgo luxuries such as crew quarters and
> entertainment facilities in favor of more armor and weapons.
> As a result, most klingon ships are tough and well armed for
> their size."
> (StarTrek: Starfleet Command III - Instruction Manual, 2002,
> Actvision & Paramount)
>
>The above states that Klingons don't have crew quarters and they probably
>either don't sleep until they reach a starbase, go some where else and
>they sleep on the floor, or they find other means such as "sleeping on the
>job."

Perhaps at one time or on very small ships, but we've seen beds on Klingon
warships: TNG "Unification, Part I" and ENT "The Augments".

In "Unification" when Captain K'Vada showed Picard to his quarters aboard
his Bird-of-Prey, he slapped the hard bed - actually, more like a sleeping
shelf - and said the bed may not be to Picard's liking, sneering that
"Klingons don't pad their bodies". Nonplussed, Picard patted the bed
himself and replied, "Good. I like a firm mattress." (This may even have
been an in-joke, recalling the line in "Conversational Klingon" {letqu'
QongDaq} "The bed is very hard.")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Well, QongDaq means "place of sleep" not neccsarily bed... Could mean sleeping bag as well... I don't know the point of pointing it out, but i know there is one. lol (sleepyness.)