tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 01 08:22:55 2006

Re: {Qong} and other unattested nouns

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Shane MiQogh:
> >Sleep, may not even need a noun form...

QeS:
>I thought the same thing about {naj}: the reason why we have no noun form
>for it might be that Klingons see it more as an action than an event.

  bInajtaHvIS qeylIS Daghomjaj
  May you encounter Kahless in your dreams! PK
  (lit. "... while you are dreaming")

Which doesn't mean that there is no noun, only that you don't always need
one to translate an English noun.  You can sometimes use verbs.

>(Of course, that's not to say that there isn't a noun form - just that we
>don't know one yet.)

Absolutely.  I'm sure there are examples where only the verb was listed in
the first edition of TKD (1985), but the corresponding homophonous noun
later showed up in the TKD Addendum (1992) or in KGT (1997).  (I just can't
think of any right now.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons