tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 29 04:39:18 2006

Re: Klingon phonotactics (was Re: Klingon at the Thanksgiving table - A month la

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

On 1/29/06, Alan Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
> ja' Philip Newton:
>
> > Also, if a {w} or {y} after a vowel is also considered a vowel, as
> > part of a diphthong, and if TKD's conjecture is correct, then a word
> > such as {Duy'oy} would be ambiguous between "dear agent" and "dear
> > defect". (While the difference in semantics should be clear from
> > context, I consider the ambiguous morphology unaesthetic.)
>
> We've already got the ambiguous {jIloy}.

In writing, yes. (And {boQoy}, and {Suyoy}, and other, less plausible
homographs.)

However, in speech they are differentiated since both nouns and verbs
are ordinarily (in the absence of {'}) stressed on the stem -- that
is, stress on the first syllable of any of those words would indicate
noun + suffix, while stress on the second syllable would indicate
prefix + verb.
--
Philip Newton <[email protected]>
HovpoH 5237.84