tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 26 04:36:11 2006

Re: Philosophical translation

ja' Florian Ferrand:

> I am a student in philosophy living in Canada and I would need your
> help.
>
> [...]
>
> In our case I will use two text versions :
>
> - one would be the normal translation, displayed in the Klingon
> alphabet,
> and will be projected behind me on  a screen as I read. I will
> produce that
> using web ressource from the plain text version.

When you say "Klingon alphabet", do you mean the glyphs used as set
dressing on Star Trek?

> - the second version of the text will be the phonetized version
> which I will
> actually read.  I will try to do my best to find pronounciation
> tips on the
> web, including here.

Realize that the "plain text" version will already be a perfect
phonetic representation.  The ASCII-compatible writing system we use
is a direct mapping of phonems to symbols.

> (SIMPLIFIED ENGLISH VERSION FOLLOWS)

If you're the one who simplified it, you probably shouldn't have
bothered.  Some of the simplifications seem to make it *harder* to
translate into Klingon. :)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level