tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 25 05:59:30 2006

RE: Neologisms

d'Armond Speers, Ph.D. ([email protected])

QeS 'utlh wrote:
> ghItlhpu' Holtej, ja':
>> we also have our own slang that was created out of necessity or
>> humor. Some coinages remain because they fill a need (HIlel);
>
> jangpu' Philip, ja':
>> I've heard of this one -- "sandwich", right?
>
> HIchuH! mu'vetlh chenmoHlu'meH qaS nuq? chay' chen?

Krankor talks about this in the _Earthlings_ movie.  They were at a
restaurant and Krankor was only speaking Klingon.  He wanted to express that
he wanted the sandwich rather than some other item, so something like {Soj}
would not have been clear.  Seqram was there, and so he used {HIlel}
tongue-in-cheek to indicate the sandwich, in reference to a Jewish custom
(passover?).  It was a nonce word, it was funny, and it did the job.  But
then, Krankor says, people started to use this word more and more for
"sandwich," (probably a qep'a' phenomenon), and it's taken on a life of its
own.

> ja'taH Holtej:
>> ngech).
>
> jangpu' Philip, ja':
>> What was canonised about this one? I presume the anatomical meaning
>> was added to a word that already existed in canon, with a
>> geographical/geological meaning? Or were both meanings thought up by
>> speakers and later canonised by Okrand?
>
> {ngech} "valley" is in TKD. According to the Wiki, Rachel
> Wyman (r'Hul) takes credit for the slang usage.

Was it at {qep'a' wejDIch}?  I don't remember.  But yes, r'Hul was the
source for this, and Marc approved it.

--Holtej

Back to archive top level