tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 22 22:15:02 2006

Re: yopwaH

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

Actually, i just don't beleive that his words popped out of no where, i beleive there is a static language, or language set that he just made phrases of, then abbriviated them. People don't make anything new from nothing, even weirdest ideas are mearly elaborated ideas of what we already have. Sometimes how we came up with those ideas is beyond our ability to calculate, but that dosn't mean we made them from scratch. All human ideas have an origen. I'll beleive you, if you yourself can come up with a new concept that is not based on *ANYTHING* and explain it to us. That is about the equivalent of making up a set of words from nothing and them having a pattern while at teh same time keeping them with the rules of which you're making.

QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:  ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
>and since he previously
>known a language (actually more, but it only takes one) it is safe
>to say he came up with his language, based on other things.

Like his imagination, perhaps? There have been many attempts to show that
Klingon is "based on" some Terran language or other. None has been
successful. Okrand put many puns into the vocabulary that are based on
various languages, but in truth, Klingon is an essentially a priori
language. Every feature of Klingon may be found in some Terran languages,
but no known language exhibits all of them.

>How he did it we may never know, but if you know a language,
>you can't just sit down and write a random combobulation of letters
>that are pronouncable (based on your own pronounciation table or
>whatever) and still have a pattern.

If there's a pattern, naturally it's not random. Okrand didn't write Klingon
randomly. Aside from which, any language must be systematic, or it is
useless.

>His ability to write a language is about as good as anyone else's who
>knows 2 or more languages.

As ghunchu'wI' points out, Okrand's linguistic training means he is far
better qualified to create a usable language than any Joe Schmo. Just
because one is able to speak two languages does not mean one understands
linguistics.

>He was the one to do it, and we must respect that, but we must
>remember, no one, including him, can come up with something from
>nothing...

The human imagination comes up with something from nothing all the time.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
- Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

New year, new job ? there's more than 100,00 jobs at SEEK
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=752315885&_r=Jan05_tagline&_m=EXT

 What are the most popular cars?  Find out at Yahoo! Autos

Back to archive top level