tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 22 15:07:48 2006

Re: loy

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
>French you don't sqy "Mon nom est" or "Mon nom c'est" you say
>"Je m'appelle". For "I call myself" rather than "my name is". Not 100%
>sure, but "my name is" might be incorrect.

"Mon nom est X" is totally grammatical and correct in French. It's just not
as common as "Je m'appelle". As in any language, there is always more than
one way of doing something. Even in Klingon, you can always find another way
to express any given thought. The more you use any language, the more you'll
come to realise how flexible it really is. Klingon is no exception.

Here's something to prove it. I'll take a random book off my bookshelf (that
isn't sci-fi, so that it's a bit more challenging) and translate the first
paragraph into Klingon for you.

juH bIQ'a' je jojDaq, raSDaq Crawford ba'moH Will Graham, 'ej CrawfordvaD
Dargh chuch je ngaSbogh HIvje' nob. 'IHbogh qach 'ej ngo'bogh bej Jack
Crawford; qach Sor Hap So' qutHommey na', 'ej luwovmoHlu'mo' boch qutHommey.
<<MarathonDaq qaghomnISpu' Qu'lIj DavanDI'>> ja'. <<wanI''e' naDev maja'chuq
DaneHbe'>>

"Will Graham sat Crawford down at a picnic table between the house and the
ocean and gave him a glass of iced tea. Jack Crawford looked at the pleasant
old house, salt-silvered wood in the clear light. 'I should have caught you
in Marathon when you got off work,' he said. 'You don't want to talk about
it here.'"

(Thomas Harris, "Red Dragon")

Savan,

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Buy now @ Tradingpost.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fad%2Eau%2Edoubleclick%2Enet%2Fclk%3B24875379%3B12369854%3Ba%3Fhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Etradingpost%2Ecom%2Eau%3Freferrer%3DnmsnHMetagv1&_t=752643439&_r=hotmailtagline&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level