tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 17 11:32:21 2006

Re: cha yIghuS

ruehli ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

----- Original Nachricht ----
Von:     Steven Boozer <[email protected]>
> You're right:  Based just on the gloss in TKD you would expect *{cha
> yIghuSmoH}, like other qualities which become transitive verbs with the
> addition of {-moH}.  For reference, here are the other uses in canon:

especially with the following quote of Okrand's clarification, I think
{ghuS} is clearly transitive, with the object being the thing that the
subject is ready to launch; I read

{yIghuSmoH} as "cause someone to be ready (to launch [torpedoes])"

you may be confused by the "being ready" part and think it's posing as
if the missile is being referred to as "being ready to *be launched*",
but even the original gloss "be ready (*to launch*)" shows that it's
the gunner who's being referred to as "ready"

in other words, I think the translation is loose, shifting the focus from
the more literal "be prepared/ready to launch torpedoes" to "make all
the necessary preparations, so the torpedoes can be launched"

or something like that...

> Okrand discusses this verb in KGT:
>
>    There is, it should be noted, a verb {ghuS} which means "to be
>    prepared to launch or project (something)". This verb never takes
>    the subject {-rup}. It is used primarily in reference to torpedoes
>    --so much so that if the object is not specifically stated, and
>    context does not dictate otherwise, it is always assumed to be
>    "torpedoes". According, both of the following sentences mean "Be
>    prepared to launch torpedoes!" or "Stand by on torpedoes!": {cha
>    yIghuS, yIghuS}. The verb {ghuS} can also be used in reference to,
>    among other things, rockets, missiles,and various kinds of energy
>    beams (which, like torpedoes, go from one point to another). It
>    is also used to describe the action of pulling back the elastic
>    band of a slingshot. In most other instances of preparedness,
>    however, {-rup} is required.  [TKD 36f.]

Marc Ruehlaender
aka HomDoq
[email protected]

Back to archive top level