tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 13 07:31:15 2006

Re: fall from the sky

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Elizabeth:
> > but I was unsure how to say from the sky so I ended
> > up translating it as
> >    chalDaq jIpumta'
> > Is that right?

ter'eS BG:
>Close, but this says "I fell (while I was) in the sky."
>You want the noun suffix {-vo'}: {chalvo' jIpumta'}.

[Now that the Beginning Grammarian has responded, I can add my {cha'
DarSeqmey}.]

Here's a good sentence from "Power Klingon" for remembering {-vo'} and {-Daq}:

   naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'
   Can we get to the Great Hall from here?

Notice the opposite word order, which also appears in SkyBox SP1:

   juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq lengtaHvIS tlhInganpu'
   During the (aggressive) expansion of the Klingon people
   from their homeworld of Kronos into space...

and again in a post Okrand made on startrek.klingon (July 1999):

   tera'vo' Qo'noS vIchegh
   I return to Kronos from Earth.

showing that {-Daq} can be omitted when the destination is the direct
object of a verb of motion.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons