tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 12 17:29:31 2006

Re: fall from the sky

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

Although this isn't marked KLBC, I don't recognize
your name,
so I'm going to assume you're new.  My name is ter'eS,
and I'm the Beginners' Grammarian, which means it's my
job
to get first response to grammar requests.  Mark
anything
you want me to respond to with a KLBC in the subject
line
(eg. KLBC fall from the sky).  I'll also be happy to
answer
any other questions you have and generally show you
the ropes.

--- Elizabeth Lawrence <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am trying to figure out how to say "I fell from
> the sky"
> The I fell part I translated as
>
> jIpumta'

This is correct.  Just remember that {-ta'} doesn't
show
past action but completed action.  {wa'leS jIpumta'}
"Tomorrow
I will have fallen" is as valid as {wa'Hu' jIpumta'}
"Yesterday
I fell."

Also good is how you used the (no object) prefix {jI-}
on the
verb.

> (and yes, I wanted to use ta')

maj. "OK"

> but I was unsure how to say from the sky so I ended
> up translating it as
>
> chalDaq jIpumta'
>
> Is that right?

Close, but this says "I fell (while I was) in the
sky."  You want
the noun suffix {-vo'}: {chalvo' jIpumta'}.

> Elizabeth

Good job. Keep up the good work. Keep posting.  When
you want
specific feedback from the BG, put KLBC in the subject
line.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level