tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 12 13:26:22 2006

Re: easy question

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Quvar asks:

>When I talk about four soldiers, would it be better to say {loS negh} or
>{loS mangpu'}?  What would be the difference?

   {mang} is used when the warrior under discussion is described
   in terms of his membership in a fighting unit (for example, as
   a crew member on an attack cruiser). Perhaps for this reason
   it is sometimes translated "soldier". The usual plural form
   of {mang} is a different word altogether: {negh} ("warriors,
   soldiers"). The word {mangpu'} is seldom used, but it is not
   ungrammatical. It carries with it the notion that there are
   individuals (more than one {mang}) making up the group; {negh}
   focuses on the group as a unit... All of the {negh} together
   make up something called a {mangghom}.  [KGT 49f]

I don't think Okrand has ever used a number with one of those nouns with a
different plural form, but I would opt for {loS mangpu'} if the actual
number is important, particularly if it's a relatively low number.  E.g.:

   lojmItlIj HurDaq cha' mang(pu') tu'lu' 'e' DaSov'a'?
   Did you know there are two soldiers outside your door?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level