tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 10 07:39:28 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: way' (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Sunday, January 8, 2006.
>
>Klingon word:   way'
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     parry, deflect a lunge
>
>Additional Notes:
>KGT p. 59: There is an extensive vocabulary for the moves associated with
>[bat'leth] use.  To thrust or lunge toward one's opponent, for example, is
>jop.  To deflect a thrust--that is, to parry--is {way'}.

KGT (p. 59) continues:

   When teaching someone to use the bat'leth, the tutor will shout out
   movements--for example, {yIjop! yIway'}! ("Lunge! Defend!"). Generally
   in such a situation, however, the tutor will used the shortened form
   of the language known as Clipped Klingon and skip the imperative prefix
   {yI-}, leaving only the bare verb: {jop! way'}! It is important to note
   that the tutor is giving the student direct commands ("Lunge! Defend!"),
   not shouting out the names of movements.

There's also an idiom {jop 'ej way'} "lunge and deflect":

   This idiom, which means "have an argument", is based on movements asso-
   ciated with the bat'leth. During the course of a bout, both parties,
   among other things, alternately lunge ({jop}), that is, push the bat'leth
   toward the opponent, and deflect ({way'}), or use the bat'leth to push
   the oncoming one away. Each side, then, engages in both offensive and
   defensive movements, and this alternation of roles is likened to a verbal
   duel. In using the expression, the appropriate verbal affixes are attached;
   for example, {wIjoppu' 'ej wIway'pu'} ("We have lunged and we have
deflected"
   --that is, "We have had an argument"). If the two verbs are reversed ({way'
   'ej jop} ["deflect and lunge"]), the idea of "have an argument" is not
   present, though the phrase is perfectly well formed if referring to a
   bat'leth bout.  [KGT 115]

Note the use of the object prefix {wI-} in {wIjoppu' 'ej
wIway'pu'}.  Perhaps the implied object is the metaphorical bat'leth or the
actual arguments made by yourself and your opponent.  (I wonder if similar
sword-play imagery is behind the English phrase "you make a good point" in
an argument? <g>)

Cf. also {yan} "wield, use or manipulate a sword".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level