tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 03 08:27:15 2006

Re: KLBC DIS chu'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Now that our new BG has answered, I can add my two darseks.  <g>

Philip Scott:
> >   That's very helpful especially concerning more
> > than one adjective qualifying a noun and preempts a
> > question I was going to ask about adjectives.  What
> > has been confusing me is that klingon adjectives are
> > verbs.  So
> >
> >   valbogh loD 'ej qanbogh
> >   ('wise old man' lit. 'man who is intelligent and
> >    old')
> >
> > would subsequent adjectives be joined on with 'ej?
> >
> >   valbogh loD 'ej qanbogh 'ej Quchbogh 'ej pivbogh
> >   ('wise, old, happy, healthy, man' it sounds a bit
> >   unnatural in English)

In English, perhaps, but probably not in Klingon.  Other examples:

   romuluSngan Sambogh 'ej HoHbogh nejwI'
   Romulan hunter-killer probe. KCD

   SuDbogh Dargh 'ej wovbogh
   The tea that is SuD and light. KGT
   (for "light green" or "yellow tea")

I can't think of any examples with three or more qualities linked with {'ej}.

ter'eS:
>Another alternative I like to use with paired adjectives isn't strictly canon
>but seems to have general acceptance: {valbogh loD qan} "a wise old man".

I've considered that method too, although I can't think of any examples in
canon.

> > The comments you made regarding word choice ('Quch, ghaj)
> > make total sense now that you mention it.
>
>Except that ghunchu'wI' reminds me of the canon phrase {DIch vIghaj} "have
>certainty, be certain"!

AFAIK it's not canon, though it has been used here for years.  In my notes
*{DIch vIghaj} "I'm sure. I'm certain" is marked as having been coined by
Krankor on the model of {pIch vIghajbe'} "It's not my fault" from the TKD
List of Useful Phrases.  Personally, I like it and have used it myself as
it's pithier than putting {-bej} on another verb.

>(And I used the phrase {pung vIghaj} in my first post as BG). But it still
>feels wrong to me with "year". Many languages make a distinction between
>possessible and non-possessible nouns.  Maybe {DIch} is seen as a
>sensation that can be possessed by an individual, while it doesn't seem
>to me that anyone can possess a year.

More examples of {ghaj} used metaphorically with a non-tangible object:

   Hov ghajbe'bogh ram rur pegh ghajbe'bogh jaj
   A day without secrets is like a night without stars. PK

   quv lughaj Archer HoD beqDaj je.
   Captain Archer and his crew are honorable people. (ENT "The Augments")

   tlham ghaj
   "have gravity" [slang for "have structure, order" (KGT 165)]

It's antonym {Hutlh} "lack, be without" can work the same way:

   tlham Hutlh
   "lack gravity" (slang for "lack structure, order") (KGT 165)

   nab Hutlh 'ach vang
   He/she lacks a plan, but he/she takes action (i.e. He/she improvises) KGT

   quv Hutlh
   lack honor (KGT 155)

   quv Hutlh HoHbogh tlhIngan 'ach qabDaj 'angbe'bogh
   A Klingon who kills without showing his face has no honor. TKW

   'ang'eghQo' quv Hutlhbogh jagh neH ghobtaHvIS ghaH
   Only an enemy without honor refuses to show himself in battle. TKW

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level