tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 02 09:12:14 2006

Re: KLBC DIS chu'

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- Philip Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

>   tera' DIS chu' botivjaj
>
>   Thank you very much Ter'eS.
>
>   That's very helpful especially concerning more
> than one adjective qualifying a noun and preempts a
> question I was going to ask about adjectives.  What
> has been confusing me is that klingon adjectives are
> verbs.
>
>   So.
>
>   valbogh loD 'ej qanbogh
>   ('wise old man' lit. 'man who is intelligent and
> old')
>
>   would subsequent adjectives be joined on with 'ej?
>
>   valbogh loD 'ej qanbogh 'ej Quchbogh 'ej pivbogh
>   ('wise, old, happy, healthy, man' it sounds a bit
> unnatural in English)

Yes, as far as we know, that would be correct (but
careful, it's {pIvbogh}.  Another alternative I like
to use with paired adjectives isn't strictly canon
but seems to have general acceptance: {valbogh loD
qan}
"a wise old man".

>   The comments you made regarding word choice
> ('Quch, ghaj) make total sense now that you mention
> it.

Except that ghunchu'wI' reminds me of the canon phrase
{DIch vIghaj} "have certainty, be certain"!  (And
I used the phrase {pung vIghaj} in my first post
as BG). But it still feels wrong to me with "year".
Many languages make a distinction between possessible
and non-possessible nouns.  Maybe {DIch} is seen as a
sensation that can be possessed by an individual,
while it doesn't seem
to me that anyone can possess a year.

>   Phil

-- ter'eS BG