tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 26 13:46:51 2006

Re: DochHa'taHghach

H Myers ([email protected])

I realized after I'd posted that I'd missed a -bogh.  And though it is
an un-Klingon sentiment, as we are humans here, I think it quite applicable.

I don't post here often (though I read most of the posts), but I'm a
long-time member of the KLI.  I recently changed the email address I use
to post to the list as a precursor to changing my ISP.  It takes me a
while of writing in Klingon to get into the 'thinking in Klingon' place
in my brain.  Probably a lot of my minor mistakes are attributable to
'English brain'.

-jI'qel ghojwI'

Steven Boozer wrote:
> jI'qel ghojwI' wrote:
>
>> jatlh vay': <belmoH mu'mey DajatlhlaHbe' vaj pagh yIjatlh.>
>>

> A minor point:  The verb {bel} needs to be linked to the verb {jatlh} in
> the same clause.  Use a relative clause: {belmoHbogh mu'mey} "pleasing
> words, words which please (someone)"
>
>    belmoHbogh mu'mey DajatlhlaHbe'...
>          ^^^^
> For a somewhat more Klingon feel (IMHO), actually add the noun {vay'}
> "someone" as an object.  But if you do, remember to change the prefix on
> {belmoH}:
>
>    vay' lubelmoHbogh mu'mey'e' DajatlhlaHbe'...
>
> It's also considered good style - though not grammatically required - to
> tag the topic of a complex relative clause with {-'e'} to show which noun
> you're focusing on:  the subject (the pleasing words) or the object (the
> person pleased by those words).
>
> All of which is probably moot.  "If you can't say something nice about
> someone, don't say anything at all" is a VERY un-Klingon sentiment!  Or as
> a Klingon might say on it, {Human Soj 'oH} "It's a human thing" (literally,
> "It is human food" using {Soj} "food" in its idiomatic sense of "matter,
> concern, affair").
>
> Other than that, I think your Klingon is pretty good.  Not perfect, but
> getting there.
>
> Qapla'!
>

> --
> Voragh