tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 24 08:16:16 2006

Re: Qo'noS bIQDep

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Shane MiQogh:
> > I think i said "yuQ Qo'noS" at one point, which would mean "Kronos
> > of planet" which makes no sence.

ghunchu'wI':
>It doesn't make sense as a possessive, but it seemed perfectly
>reasonable where you used it.  The very first special TNG Skybox
>card, SP1 {Qo'noS wo'} "Empire of Kronos", has this phrase:
>
>    juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq lengtaHvIS...
>    ...from their homeworld of Kronos into space...
>
>I think {yuQ Qo'noS} is fine for "Planet Kronos".

As a matter of personal style, I'd tend to use {yuQ Qo'noS} as an
apposition, not a name:  "the planet, Kronos, ..."  For the latter, I'd put
{yuQ} after the proper name, as is usual with tags:  {Qo'noS yuQ} "the
Planet Kronos".  Cf. the title of SP1 that ghunchu'wI' quoted with {wo'}
used similarly as a tag:  {Qo'noS wo'} "Empire of Kronos".

The only examples I could find of {yuQ} used as a tag were both proper
nouns, curiously written as one word:

   {SermanyuQ}  Sherman's Planet (TKD)

   {HuDyuQ}  a mountainous Klingon planet (Keith R.A. DeCandido's novel
    _Diplomatic Implausibility_, for which Okrand provided a few words
   and expressions [though we're not sure which ones])

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level