tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 20 08:05:17 2006

Re: qep'a' (was Re: On a more humerous note)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

QeS:
>On the other side of the coin, many of us were drawn to Klingon because we
>were interested in language, not because we were interested in Star Trek
>(although some of us have become interested in Star Trek because of our
>learning Klingon...). Shane, if you haven't read Yens Wahlgren's bachelor's
>thesis "Klingon as Linguistic Capital", you may be interested in that.
>
>http://www.angelfire.com/trek/yensw/PDF/thesis.pdf

The full title may be of interest:

{Hol Sup 'oH tlhIngan Hol'e' - wa'maH Hut tlhIngan Hol po'wI' nughQeD}
"Klingon as Linguistic Capital: A Sociologic Study of Nineteen Advanced
Klingonists"

And here's an English abstract from the Lunds Universitet site:

"The Klingon language was created as a "verbal movie-prop" for Star Trek
and was not supposed to be a language for human communication. But today
thousands of persons have studied Klingon and 20 - 30 persons can be
considered fluent in the language. A linguistic field of power, a
linguistic market, has been formed. The purpose of this thesis is to
research how the Klingon language speakers have experienced the development
of the artificial language Klingon during its 20 years of existence. I will
also examine the informants' opinion towards Star Trek fandom. The method
used is qualitative; I have interviewed Dr Marc Okrand, creator of the
Klingon language, and Dr Lawrence M. Schoen, founder of the Klingon
Language Institute (KLI). I have also conducted an Internet interview with
17 advanced Klingonists. As a theoretical framework I use Bourdieu's theory
on symbolic capital, Berger's & Luckmann's discussion on secondary
socialization and Ferguson categories of Language development. For Klingon
the process of language development is a social process. It is an ongoing
dialectic exchange between Marc Okrand and the Klingonists. The KLI acts as
a socializing institution and plays an important role for the
standardization of the language together with Klingonists with high
linguistic capital. Star Trek is becoming less important for the
development of Klingon as only a minority of the Klingonists consider
themselves as trekkers and by the modernization of Klingon that gives the
language more vocabulary not related to Star Trek concepts."

http://theses.lub.lu.se/undergrad/search.tkl?field_query1=pubid&query1=soc04014&recordformat=display

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons