tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 14 10:54:08 2006

Re: mangpu' or negh?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Shane:
 >> Dis means "the oposite of"

lay'tel SIvten:
>moHaq "dis-" QIjmeH 'ej yajmeH Hut pImwI' ghaj mu'ghomwIj.
>
>   1a: do the opposite of : reverse (a specified action)
>   1b: deprive of (a specified character, quality, or rank
>     : deprive of (a specified object)
>   1c: exclude or expel from
>    2: opposite of : contrary to : absence of
>    3: not
>    4: completely
>    5: [by folk etymology] : = dys-
>
>[Some of these meanings are part of the meaning of verbal suffix type rover
>{-Ha'}, but again, not all of them.]

Shane:
 >> So, -Ha' dosn't has one rather than all meanings? Then what does -Ha' mean?

   This negative suffix implies not merely that something is not
   done (as does {-be'}), but that there is a change of state:
   something that was previously done is now undone. For convenience,
   it will here be translated as "undo", but is closer to the English
   prefixes "mis-", "de-", "dis-" (as in "misunderstand", "demystify",
   "disentangle"). It is also used if something is done wrongly [...]
     {chenHa'moHlaH}  "it can destroy them"
   This verb actually means something like "it can cause them to undo
   their form."
     {yIchu'Ha'}       "disengage it!" (e.g. cloaking device)
     {bIjatlhHa'chugh} "if you say the wrong thing"
   This shows how {-Ha'} can be used in the sense of "wrongly". The
   word might be translated as "if you misspeak". Using {-be'} (that
   is, {bIjatlhbe'chugh}) would mean "if you don't speak".
     {Do'Ha'}          "it is unfortunate"
   The use of {-Ha'} in this sentence suggests a turn of luck from
   good to bad.                                          (TKD 47f)

Another example of the "do wrongly" idea is the slang expression:

    jIbachHa'pu'
    I have made a mistake (lit.  "I have mis-shot") KGT

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level