tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 14 10:20:32 2006

Re: mangpu' or negh?

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

>Surely you mean more than that. Even Rotokas, with its tiny inventory of 6
>consonants and 5 vowels, yields 30 possible CV syllables.

  about... I remmeber it was close to 26, but not exact. It's about 26 or 30. Katakana has that, and the 26 letters of the european countries. (I think that's how katakana works.) While Hiragana has probably just the 30. Then they have the punctuation for each, but that's irrelevant. The only thing overwhelming about japanese's characters is... i forget what the alpha bet's called, but it's refered to as "the big chinese looking letters".

  >systems work perfectly well, I'm sure that Okrand has better things to do
>than to devise the 1800-odd characters necessary to write Klingon
>syllabically - and we have better things to do than learn such a system.
Actually... He never came up with pIqaD either...

  >However, there's no basis I can think of for saying it must
>happen on a syllable-by-syllable basis, any more than it must happen on a
>phoneme-by-phoneme basis.

  Who said "must"? I was just suggesting it would be a little more intresting and perhaps it would make learning to read any language a bit easier.

  Actually on an added note (i can see where this is going) one would think that we don't separate words in our head. English has this problem where we do separate words in our head, thus why we often have trouble spelling "someone". Only experience will help you find out what the word means.

  qamuSvIp.

  We (in our heads) would separate that word (even when spoken) based on the different meanings. It would be of 3 parts in our head.

  veqlargh vImuS.

  In this case, it would be separated into 3 as well, but it's not by sylobol or word.

  Based on the above, *MAY* actually speak klingon and interpret the suffixes and prefixes as separate words because of their seperate meanings.