tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 14 01:26:19 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: HochHom (noun)

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
>In my opinion, it would mean "the exceeding amount of". As in 1.5 over 1.
>Kinda like a surplus. Hoch already means "the entire thing".

Consider the giant redwood tree. It's definitely a mighty tree, by virtue of
its size and impressiveness, as well as anything spiritual you may feel in
coming into the presence of something so old and venerable. In view of these
feelings, you may be moved to say that the giant redwood is a {Sor'a'}
"great tree". But that doesn't stop it from also being just a {Sor}. A
{SuvwI''a'} is also still a type of {SuvwI'}.

I'm not saying I'm necessarily right, but just drawing your attention to the
fact that something could be an {X-'a'} and still be a type of {X}. Again,
context is important.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Win 1000s of music downloads and Party MeeGos instantly. Play now!
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=689&referral=hotmailtagline&URL=http://partyfever.ninemsn.com.au/compintro.aspx?compid=209

Back to archive top level