tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 13 21:12:18 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: HochHom (noun)

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

In my opinion, it would mean "the exceeding amount of". As in 1.5 over 1. Kinda like a surplus. Hoch already means "the entire thing".
QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:  ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
>HochHom dosn't exactly give me the opinion of something "greater"...
>Let's consider the -Hom part.... lol

You've ignored the other half of that phrase: "greater part". That is, if
you have something cut into two parts, and one part is bigger than the
other, the bigger, or *greater*, part is the {HochHom}. It's not all of it
({Hoch}), but it's most of it ({HochHom}). Dayaj'a'?

>Sadly enough, it does mean "mostly" or "most of"...

HIja', 'ach lughchu' je "greater part".

>Real question, what would Hoch'a' be translated to?

As Voragh has said, meanings given by derived {-'a'} and {-Hom} nouns are
often context-dependent, and often are only transparent once you know what
both of them mean: compare {bIQ} "water" with {bIQ'a'} "ocean".

Without context, I would have said {Hoch'a'} would mean "absolutely all,
down to the very last grain": as in {naylaHmeH puqbe'Daj, SawwI'vaD Hoch'a'
Huch ghajbogh nob puqbe' vav} "in order that his daughter could get married,
her father gave to the groom every last coin of the money he had". However,
that's just my opinion; YMMV.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
- Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

realestate.com.au: the biggest address in property
http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au