tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 13 17:24:09 2006

Re: Can Klingons learn from Vulcans?

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

I am gonna use this idea to write a song... So far i only got the refrain (it's gonna be to "yo ho blow the man down")... the phrase is Yoo (<-- not sure if that's right) ghoo SoH pIHoHjaj jay'! I'm gonna make it a song about stealing bear and girls and stuff. lol
QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:  ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
>"klingon haiku" comes to mind...

Maybe so. The total number of syllables in a "steheht" verse is 22, just a
bit larger than a haiku. Feel free to give it a whirl; let's see what you
come up with!

muD rurchu' yIn.
rut SIStaHghach tu'lu',
'ej rut Hurgh vay' chal.
'ach wovmoH je vay':
jupna'.

(Life is like weather.
Sometimes there is raining,
and sometimes one's sky is dark.
But something brightens it too:
a true friend.)

I was also thinking that this mode could be used to couch an epic poem or
something similar if some hundreds or thousands of such verses were strung
together. That's what I had in mind when I wrote those two verses I posted:
they might be verses taken out of a stereotypical epic poem about Kahless.

Or perhaps, a section from that famous epic {lu qeng} "the Fall of Kang":

SuvHa', HoHlu'.
qun qon charghwI'pu''e',
Qapbe'wI' buSHa'.
vaj lIjchoH qunna';
lu qeng.

(He fought badly; he was killed.
History is composed by the victors,
it ignores the unsuccessful.
Thus the true history came to forget him;
Kang fell.)

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
- Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

New year, new job ? there's more than 100,00 jobs at SEEK
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=752315885&_r=Jan05_tagline&_m=EXT