tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 03 21:33:58 2006

Re: pe'vIl jev

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

oops... juH not puH...

  anyway... endure and undergo... are almost antonyms... They are in this case, though. To endure something means to withstand something... so when you say "It did not endure destruction" you're saying that it was destroyed. Undergo means to have happen... "It did not undergo destruction" means it was not destroyed. Actually, in some parts of the world, you use endure correctly... But it litearally means "It did not withstand destruction". Which means it was overcome by destruction to some people, but to others it means... it was ok... That's a trivial matter, then... lol I think "have" would have been a better wayto put this. Endure has a double meaning in this situation (of which both are oposite) and i always interpret withstand/endure in the negative in this case. I guess that's a matter of style... lol

  QIHmey ghaj'a' juHlIj? 'e'chugh, nuqDaq SoH?
Terrence Donnelly <[email protected]> wrote:
  --- Shane MiQogh wrote:

> 'er... ghobe'... puHDaq SoHbe'chugh, nuqDaq SoH?

qayajbe'.

"If you are not on the ground, where are you"?

Why do you think I am not on the ground?

> Dab? o.O

"to dwell/live at"; the direct object is the place.

> Terrence Donnelly
> wrote:
> *Saint Louis* vIDab.
>
> -- ter'eS
>
> --- Shane MiQogh wrote:
>
> > nuqDaq SoH?
> > Terrence Donnelly
> > wrote: QIH SIQbe' juHwIj.

"My house did not endure destruction." (I picked
{SIQ} "endure" only because I couldn't think of a
verb for "undergo").

-- ter'eS