tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 01 09:50:36 2006

Re: more Okuda pIqaD?

In a message dated 4/1/2006 9:05:12 AM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> Trying to assign values to the pIqaDqoq in this
> picture
> is even worse than the Skybox cards.  The "pIqaD"
> seems
> to be reproducing the English text below letter
> for letter, but it's just a mess. The symbol we
> usually assign to {ng} for example, has at least the
> values a, e, l, v and y (the symbol we use for {l}
> also seems to correspond to e and v, as well as c and
> k.  Around the word "television", the transcriber
> either got lost, misspelled the word for "television",
> or abandoned any pretense of a system.  The only
> symbol that seems to remain consistent is the one
> we use for {w}, which seems to always have only the
> single value n.

That's odd.  I transcribed it, and got a perfectly consistent one-to-many
match between the 10 symbols and the English letters.  The values are exactly the
same as the ones on the SkyBox cards, but the Italian wiki text has no "j",
"x", "z", or apostrophe, so those letters are uncertain.

> Trying to apply these values to the Vulcan sign looks
> hopeless to me.  And if the sign really says "welcome"
> _in Vulcan_, then all bets are off on what the
> text is even supposed to say.

I hadn't thought of it being in Vulcan.

> It looks to me like they either wrote gibberish or
> used some private transliteration scheme unlike any
> that we know.
>
> -- ter'eS

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level