tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 01 07:02:59 2006

Re: more Okuda pIqaD?

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

Trying to assign values to the pIqaDqoq in this
picture
is even worse than the Skybox cards.  The "pIqaD"
seems
to be reproducing the English text below letter
for letter, but it's just a mess. The symbol we
usually assign to {ng} for example, has at least the
values a, e, l, v and y (the symbol we use for {l}
also seems to correspond to e and v, as well as c and
k.  Around the word "television", the transcriber
either got lost, misspelled the word for "television",
or abandoned any pretense of a system.  The only
symbol that seems to remain consistent is the one
we use for {w}, which seems to always have only the
single value n.

Trying to apply these values to the Vulcan sign looks
hopeless to me.  And if the sign really says "welcome"
_in Vulcan_, then all bets are off on what the
text is even supposed to say.

It looks to me like they either wrote gibberish or
used some private transliteration scheme unlike any
that we know.

-- ter'eS

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/it/d/d5/Klingon-text-sample_2.JPG

> DloraH:  Thanks for the distinction between KLI
> pIqaD and Okuda pIqaD.
>
> lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level