tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 06 07:42:34 2005

Re: Miranda Warning

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

QeS la':
> >So would, say, {bItammeH DIb Daghaj} "you have the privilege of/for
> >remaining silent" work?
>
>jang Voragh:
> >Sure.  I don't know whether translating the idiom works in Klingon, bu=
t the
> >object of {ghaj} "have, possess" can certainly be something intangible=
 or
> >abstract:
> >   pIch vIghajbe'
> >   It's not my fault.  (TKD)
>
>I was more concerned with whether the {-meH} clause would be proper Klin=
gon:
>is the privilege really "for the purpose of" being silent? I'd say yes, =
but
>I have no real evidence, and others might not agree.

The purpose clause is perfectly proper.  We have no examples with {tam} o=
r=20
{chuS} "be noisy", but there are far too many other examples to list=20
here.  Two using the prefix {bI-} are:

   bIQapqu'meH tar DaSop 'e' DatIvnIS
   To really succeed, you must enjoy eating poison. (TKW)

   laS veghaS HIltonDaq =ABHov leng: yIjeSchu'=BB qaSchoHmo', bIlopqu'meH
    HIlton yIghoS
   Come celebrate the grand opening of "Star Trek: The Experience" at
    the Las Vegas Hilton. (STX communique)

Looking at {bItammeH DIb Daghaj} again, I see that you could also have sa=
id=20
{tammeH DIb Daghaj} using {tammeH DIb} "rite of being silent" as a "purpo=
se=20
noun" (like {ghojmeH taj} "boy's knife", i.e. "a knife for learning" from=
=20
KCD or {QongmeH Duj} "sleeper ship" from SkyBox15).  In fact, I rather li=
ke=20
the distinction:

   tammeH DIb Daghaj.
   You have the right-to-be-silent. (the "right of silence")

   bItamtaHmeH DIb Daghaj.
   You have the right to-REMAIN-silent.

Not that the Klingon legal system would have such a right, of course.  <g=

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level