tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 02 08:43:18 2005

Re: pongmey

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> > I don't believe we've ever seen the mother's name for Y in "X son/
> > daughter of Y" names.  (Though if unremarked, how can we be sure?)

ghunchu'wI':
>Kortar addressed "B'Elanna, daughter of Miral" in the Voyager episode
>"Barge of the Dead".

Good memory.  Of course, this is also the episode which gave us the noun
*{naj} "dream", which some purists utterly reject!

Playing Fek'lhr's Advocate for a moment, I should point out that 1) her
mother Miral was present with them on the Barge of the Dead; 2) B'Ellana's
father, John Torres, was a human and Klingons may not use alien names in
these traditional name formulae, particularly when the matter involved her
Klingon-ness; or 3) Kortar might simply not have known her father's name
(though being either an supernatural being or a figment of B'Ellana's
hallucination [i.e. her {naj}!], that seems unlikely).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level