tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 28 08:07:03 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: DuQ (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Friday, October 28, 2005.
>
>Klingon word:   DuQ
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     touch (emotionally)

   Another common way to say that a specific piece or performance
   of music has a particularly strong effect on a listener is to
   employ the verb {DuQ} (literally, "stab"): {muDuQ bom} ("The
   song stabs me", or, in a more colloquial Federation Standard
   form, "The song moves me"). If the music is judged positively
   --that is, if the listener likes it--the music is said to be
   {'ey}, using the word normally translated as "delicious" when
   talking about food. Rendering {'ey bom} as "The song is good"
   is acceptable, but it fails to capture the real feeling of the
   Klingon. (KGT 71-72)

   Food also resembles music in that if it affects one in an espe-
   cially positive way--that is, if the food particularly satisfies
   the eater--one may say {DuQ Soj} ("The food stabs him/her").
   (KGT 84)

Don't confuse {DuQ} with {Hot} "touch, feel" (i.e. physically) and {vIH}
"move, be in motion".

A related verb is {much} "present, perform (music)".

>Homonyms:
>     DuQ (verb) - stab

Used in canon:

   cheDuQchugh mareghbe''a'
   Prick us, do we not bleed? (TKW)

   qaDuQ
   I stab you. (STC:KLS)

The derived noun is {DuQwI'} "spike"

Cf. also {pe'} "cut", {SIj} "slit", {chIp} "cut, trim (hair)".  We also
have {poD} "be clipped" and {poDmoH} "clip":

   One form of nonstandard speech that is heard rather frequently
   is what is called {tlhIngan Hol poD} ("Clipped Klingon") or
   simply {Hol poD} ("clipped language"). (KGT 172f)

but since [poD} has only been used WRT language so far, an alternate
translation of "be abbreviated, be terse" may be closer to the mark.  We
should ask Maltz if it can be used with other nouns.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level