tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 18 07:35:12 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: laj (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Tuesday, October 18, 2005.
>
>Klingon word:   laj
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     acceptance

The noun has never been used in canon.

>Homonyms:
>     laj (verb) - accept

   to'baj 'uS lughoDlu'bogh tIlaj
   Accept these stuffed tobbaj legs! PK

   jIlajneS
   I'm honored to accept! (TNG "A Matter of Honor")

   jIlajneS.  ghIj qet jaghmeyjaj!  (TKW p.65)
   I accept.  May your enemies run with fear."
   [This is the traditional acceptance upon being asked to serve as
    someone's {cha'DIch}. (TNG "Sins of the Father")]

   beq may' ta vIlajpu'
   I have accepted the crew's record of battle. KGT

   ghopDu'wIjDaq yInmeyraj vIlaj
   I accept your lives into my hands. KGT

   When taking a table's order, the {jabwI'} neither writes anything
   down nor enters data into a computer. It is considered the duty
   of the {jabwI'} to remember ({qaw}) the choices and to bring the
   correct food, and servers tend to be quite skilled at this. On the
   rare occasion when the {jabwI'} has remembered incorrectly ({qawHa'}),
   the patron may reject ({lajQo'}) the dish. If the patron rejects a
   dish that the server believes has been properly remembered, however,
   the misunderstanding could develop into minor combat. For most of
   the other diners in the restaurant, this is regarded as an exhila-
   rating diversion.  (KGT 101f.)

Note the idiom:

   "I have accepted discommendation." (Worf, in TNG "Reunion")
    [*{naDHa'ghach vIlajpu'}]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons