tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 03 08:07:12 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: noH (verb)

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- [email protected] wrote:

> Standard Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>

> > > I don't see why you say it's a noun.  I'm
> unclear
> > > about how {chorghSaD
> > > qelI'qam} fits in the sentence, but {HIvchuq} is
> > > just "(he/she/it/they) attack each
> > > other".
> > > There's really no discussion.  They're notes
> from
> > > Star Trek 5: The Final
> > > Frontier.  But it is canon.
> > >

> > In this case, I think the word is actually made
> > from {HIv} "attack" + {chuq} "range, distance".
> > KGT has {HIvDuj}, so using {HIv} this way isn't
> > entirely unknown.  I don't know if {HIvchuq}
> > appears anywhere except the movie, though.
> >
> > So, if {HIvchuq} is (like {HIVDuj}) a noun, then
> > the criticism is valid.
> >

> Okay, now I know why it might be considered a noun,
> or at least a noun phrase.
> Now it makes even less sense grammatically than it
> did before.
>
> lay'tel SIvten

One possible analysis:

{chorghSaD qelI'qam HIvchuq} is a N-N phrase: 'an
attack range of 8 thousand kellicams' (by analogy
to {cha'vatlh ben HIq} 'liquor of 200 years ago').
Then the line is really 2 lines, abbreviated:

chorghSaD qelI'qam HIvchuq ('oH HIvchuqvam'e')
'e' vInoH.

"The attack distance is an 8-thousand qellicam
attack distance.  This I estimate."

In the heat of battle, grammar is the first
thing to go 8+)

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level