tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 03 07:28:26 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: noH (verb)

In a message dated 10/3/2005 8:29:37 AM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> > I don't see why you say it's a noun.  I'm unclear
> > about how {chorghSaD
> > qelI'qam} fits in the sentence, but {HIvchuq} is
> > just "(he/she/it/they) attack each
> > other".
> > There's really no discussion.  They're notes from
> > Star Trek 5: The Final
> > Frontier.  But it is canon.
> >

> In this case, I think the word is actually made
> from {HIv} "attack" + {chuq} "range, distance".
> KGT has {HIvDuj}, so using {HIv} this way isn't
> entirely unknown.  I don't know if {HIvchuq}
> appears anywhere except the movie, though.
>
> So, if {HIvchuq} is (like {HIVDuj}) a noun, then
> the criticism is valid.
>
> > lay'tel SIvten
> >

> -- ter'eS

Okay, now I know why it might be considered a noun, or at least a noun phrase.
Now it makes even less sense grammatically than it did before.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level